Pizza Cut Enhancements
Use these different species for different flavor profiles
While oak makes for the perfect pizza wood, adding flavored 8-inch cooking wood splits to your oven while your pie bakes is a great way to play around with flavors and create a memorable dish. Popular flavors to consider include:
- Hickory: Hickory wood is full of a savory, smoky flavor that is great for meat-centric pies, especially when they feature bacon, barbecue, or poultry. Hickory would be great for a BBQ pizza! But be careful — Hickory will very easily overpower all other flavors. Use it very sparingly.
- Pecan: Pecan wood creates a light, nutty flavor that pairs well with a variety of poultry, cheeses, and hearty vegetable toppings.
- Apple: Apple cooking wood is sweet and mild, but it pairs perfectly with savory meats and veggie toppings. Use apple sparingly, unless you want the crust to have an apple taste.
- Cherry: Cherry wood is our most aromatic cooking wood, and it infuses pizzas with a one-of-a-kind sweetness. It pairs exceptionally well with almost any meat.
- Maple: With the growing popularity of flavor combinations like maple and bacon, adapt maple cooking wood to complement meat and cheese pies, or even a dessert pizza!